Saving money is hard! By nature, I am a spender not a saver. I get a much bigger thrill out of buying something then watching my money grow in a bank account - much to my mother's chagrin. She is definitely a saver. She once said that she wanted to build her own casket and use it to store stuff in our garage until she passed on. My father got really grossed out by that! This cartoon reminds me of her!

I am trying to change my spending ways and be prepared for the future. If any of you have some good tips for me, please post them in your comments. I need all the help I can get.
Amanda is going to see BodyWorlds tonight!
3 comments:
Saving is extremely hard...we have a savings account at a completely different bank so it's harder to get to (no easy transfer into checking etc...) Good luck!
commment1- ewwww! Body works?! my blood just curdles when I even think about it.
comment2- I am going through the same thing! I think just being conscious about it helps spending habits because I had $150 more dollars in my account than I normally do at this time! Hooray! I like lisa's suggestion. I have a savings hooked to my checking account where I put short term things (like half of my car and mortgage payments until the other half shows up) and then once a month a physically walk a check over to my credit union. It makes it much harder to get to, I love it. Also, I have found that avoiding window shopping helps a lot and I found new hobbies to get me the heck away from any store. I have found that even if I just pop in for a little something, I usually end up leaving with a whole lot of something. I also think that you should budget for a DVD every once in a while, because if you put the cinch on too tight you'll wig out eventually and spend more than ever. And make a rule that you have to think about a purchase for 24 hours before you get it. This is really long so I'm done now :)
When we recognize that the challenges in our life can provide opportunities for growth and increased happiness we have mastered half the problem right there. Amanda, you are 50% victorious in accomplishing your desire to save more of the money you work so hard for.
When I was still working and I thought of an item I wanted but did not really need I would say to myself," This cost xxx amnount, that means I have to work xx number of hours to pay for it. Sometimes I would still buy the item but many times I would think,no, I do not think it is worth that much of my labor, effort and time".
About the DVD's and CD's. If you had the opportunity to "unbuy" them how many would qualify? I like Caron's idea of waiting 24 hours before making a purchase.
Post a Comment