Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Observations from a newly married lady

By the way I promise I'll post wedding day, reception, & honeymoon pictures shortly. I just barely put the wedding day pictures up on Facebook. I've been busy working and trying to get things organized. Life seems to be slowing down slightly so I'll find the time for pictures.

Anyway I thought I would blog some of the things I've observed in my little over a month of marriage. Perhaps this will bring back memories for some of you who have been married a while.

First I have to say that I just love cooking for my husband. It is so much fun to plan recipes for the week. I love my slow cooker (or cookers since I have 3). They just make food preparation so convenient. I've even made a most delicious coconut rice pudding in the slow cooker. I've found some great recipe websites if anyone ever needs suggestions. My current favorite is A Year of Slow Cooking. It is just full of all kinds of interesting recipes and she also shares her failures.

I can't believe how easy it is to spend most of my time with one person. I was that girl who liked to have alone time. I still enjoy "me" time and I get plenty since Robert teaches two nights a week. Here's an example of what I mean. This Saturday I needed to go grocery shopping. Robert had stuff to do at home so he wasn't going with me.  I had to pick up food for a family get together we were going to but I waited until the afternoon to shop. I realized that I really wanted Robert to go with me but I knew he had class preparations to work on. He took a break in the late afternoon to watch some tv with me and when our show was finished I said I was going to the store and I asked "are you sure you don't want to come with me?" Being the sweet husband he is - he agreed and off to Macey's (grocery store) we went. He's funny in the store - he likes to lean forward and lift his feet up when pushing the cart. Just like a little boy!

It drives me nuts when our house gets messy or disorganized. I find that I'm more grumpy if I come home and there is stuff everywhere. This isn't Robert's fault. We're still trying to figure out where to put everything so sometimes a mess happens. Now that I know this bugs me I'm trying to make more of an effort not to just throw stuff down when I get home. If I take the time to put it away I can save myself the aggravation later. 

It is wonderful being married to such a thoughtful person. Robert is terrific about unloading and loading the dishwasher. He always puts the toilet seat down. He makes our bed in the morning if I don't have a chance to. He helps me alphabetize my coupon book. He gives me foot massages and lets me control the remote.

Sure, there are things that I could find annoying if I chose to (but I'm not going to name them). When I find myself getting annoyed I think of the sweet and thoughtful things that Robert does and then I don't remember what was bugging me. Marriage definitely takes good communication on both sides. Funny example - we had Robert's family holiday party this weekend and everyone exchanged gifts. Earlier I had asked Robert if he wanted us to do presents too and he said "No, you don't need to get me anything." I assumed this meant we weren't giving each other gifts but that was his way of being sneaky. He surprised me with seasons 5 & 6 of the Cosby show (which I've been looking for). Season 6 has my all time favorite episode where Cliff keeps going to the store in the rain on Thanksgiving. Anyway I felt bad I didn't have a gift for Robert but I couldn't be upset when I was so happy at the same time. I'll get him back later. Muwahahaha (evil laughter).

No comments: