Saturday, October 11, 2008

I like a good mystery

As far back as I can remember, I have always enjoyed mysteries. When I was in kindergarten we received prizes for doing good jobs, sometimes it was candy other times we got pennies or nickels. The prizes and money were kept in an egg carton that the teacher stored on a top shelf. One day the egg carton disappeared. My class was devastated! I immediately went into detective mode along with a couple of my friends. We searched all over the classroom and the playground for clues. We interviewed suspects and I think at one point I even suspected our teacher. I never did find the money or the prizes. However it was in that moment that my love of mysteries was born.

Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy, Scooby Doo, Encylopedia Brown, Trixie Belden, and Nancy Drew were my constant childhood companions. As I grew older I discoved Hercules Poirot, Miss Marple, and Sherlock Holmes.

Television also provided lots of great detectives for me to learn from. Sunday nights were spent watching Angela Lansbury on Murder She Wrote. My parents and I would try to outguess Jessica Fletcher and figure out the killer first. I was also fascinated by Matlock and Perry Mason.

Of course my favorite board game was Clue. To this day I own at least four versions of the game - Scooby Doo Clue, Deluxe Clue (complete with poison chalice), Clue Mysteries, and even a dvd version of Clue.

Now as an adult my bookshelves are still filled full of mysteries. I adore suspense and mystery movies. Just give me a rainy day and I'm all ready to pop Rear Window into the dvd or grab my copy of Murder on the Orient Express. I love that shivery feeling I get when the killer is closing in (even if I already know what is going to happen).

As Halloween approaches I recommend you curl up with a blanket or a loved one and check out some of my old favorites:

Dial M for Murder

Rear Window

To Catch a Thief


Midnight Lace

Watcher in the Woods

Cape Fear


Amanda is watching a cheesy mystery on Lifetime.

No comments: